Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Harsh Winter for Ladybugs

While working on the hives on the weekend I removed the last of the wraps and added Mite Away Quick Strips, AFB & Nosema treatment.

Every year the ladybugs tuck themselves into the lining on the hives or inside the inner cover if they can get in there. I don't mind them at all, especially since they're beneficial insects.

I was really saddened to see that on every hive all the ladybugs were dead. It didn't matter where they had hunkered down, they were dead. Not sure if pesticides played a part here but our super cold winter of 2014 was deadly to these lovely little bugs.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I have a couple of hives....but they are not nearly the work you have up there. Here in Florida I put robber screens on in the fall and entrance reducers...but I do not have to wrap them.
I just have 2 backyard hives and don't plan on more. I also dont use foundation and no pesticides. I figure it's like supplying them with a hollow tree...bee natural.

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

I saw one live ladybug today. They really were hit hard last winter.
Carol - your weather is so much nicer than ours but you do have more pests like the hive beetle. I hope you have a good season