Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fermented Honey in my Tummy

Two posts ago I wrote about how my absent mindedness led to three partly filled pails of honey fermenting.  I knew the honey was not all cured and intended to check it for it's water content and then I forgot.

[Photo - a jar of cooked honey and cinnamon covered apples]

The result was fermented honey.  So I put two pails in the freezer where they'd sit and wait until I decided what to do with them.  The third I thought I'd experiment with.

I cooked it down into a thick sweet syrup--the idea here was to save the honey for personal consumption, not to sell it.

After boiling it down the taste wasn't bad but there was still a fruity flavour to it.  In my estimation it was edible but not tasty enough to put in my cup of tea.

But put into baking I hoped it'd do well and hide the slight fermentation flavour.

I made Apple Crisp.  I admit that I don't cook much.  I made regular traditional apple crisp first using white and brown sugar.  It turned out great and now I had a taste comparison.

Next I used the same recipe but substituted honey for the white sugar. 

I am very pleased to report it turned out fabulously!  I can breathe a sigh of relief now that I know the honey can be put to use.

Apple Crisp

10 cups all purpose apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup honey (used instead of 1 cup of white sugar)
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
Topping
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar – packed
½ cup melted butter

Directions- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (75 degrees C)

- Mostly fill a baking dish with the sliced apples. Mix the honey, flour, water and cinnamon together and spoon over the apples. (Additional water can be added if the honey is very thick and less if its very runny).

- Topping – combine oats, flour, brown sugar and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the

apples

- Bake at 350 (175C) for 30 to 45 minutes

Serve warm with ice cream or a splash of milk. It’s good cold too.

And finally, don't forget to buy a refractometer so you can check your honey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

make mead out of the rest - you're already part of the way there anyway, with the fermentation.

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

I agree! ;)