Monday, May 2, 2011

Engage the Hive Top Feeders

Homeward bound at the end of a busy day, a worker happily trudges across the platform to the entrance of her hive.

She's loaded with pollen, a sign of a successful trip.

Today there were two shades of pollen coming in, a bright yellow and a soft yellow/white colour.
The rain that was predicted didn't come and the bees took full advantage and kept flying. 

Three hives have finished their sugar baggie/Fumigilin treatment so I am now using the hive top feeder - which means I can give them more syrup.  They're in week 2 of a 4 week treatment for American Foulbrood (AFB).

Hive #2 is extremely slow to take their meds and also not too quick to clean their hive--signs of lack of good hygiene I think.

Hive #3 love to build comb in any extra space.  I removed rim spacers to cut down on their extra space.

See how the bees build the doublesided comb with a 15 degree uphill slant?  That's no accident at all.

They do that so when the combs hang the liquid honey and nectar doesn't run out.  Surface tension also contributes to keeping the honey in the comb.

Certainly not dumb bugs, that's for sure.

4 comments:

Georgie said...

great photos of those cute little bees

Brad said...

Thanks again for posting a few pictures on The Weather Network site. It always makes my day to see some bees harder at work than myself.

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

You're welcome Brad. I was thinking of you last night when I posted them.

İlhami Uyar said...

I wish without problems season.We must struggle against pests.Regards.