Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bugs bug bugs too you know

I had not seen this before and it caught my eye.  The bees were doing what I call a Bug Dance.

There were potatoe bettles (those black bugs with white dots that often show up at picnics) crawling across their front stoop.

I believe they were attracted because of sugar syrup I was feeding a new hive.  The bees did not like having these bugs around and collected around to dissuade them.

Later the bees bit at the bettles and one grabbed one in her mandibles and then flew off the platform.

See the video below.  The dance is quite interesting - a twirling motion.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Daggone, that video was very interesting and highly intriguing to watch. I have never seen anything quite like that before either. A very unique display.

It is apparent they indeed did not desire the beetle's presence. I am wondering however why the bees were obviously releasing scent from their nasonov glands during this. I wonder if they were communicating to gain more man power, to ward off other beetles, or if they were simply highly irritated.

Neat!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share with others for it appears to be a behavior that one would not readily see everyday. I have never seen that around my hives here in North Carolina.

-on a side note- what is the reasoning behind wax foundation on the landing area of your bee's hive boxes?

Take care, Chris

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

Hi Chris. I think you're right that they were sofliciting more help. Initially it was one bee and then others joined in to help.

Re the foundation on the front stoop, I found that bees were getting stick to the painted wood, mostly when it was wet and they would die like that. New bees aren't such good fliers or if wind threw them and they didn't land right they were in trouble. With the uneven surface of the comb they don't get stuck and the wax gives their feet traction. (Note I'm a hobby beekeeper so I can do these extras for the bees :)

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

Chris - I forgot to reply about the foundation out front. I found with the painted platforms that with dew or wetness from rain that bees who got tipped upside down by wind, etc., would get stuck to the smooth surface and unable to turn over.

By adding a sheet of plastic foundation they can get traction so no one gets stuck.