Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sneak Honey Theif

At first it was just a feeling that something was different. I was perusing the jars of honey and I had a thought, didn't we have more jars than that?

Oh well. Life is busy and I went on my way.

This summer has been a real balancing act. Hot (really) hot weather, busy productive bees, gardening--my arm is finally working normally again--and of course that full-time job that gets in the way of all the fun.
So when I thought I had a few less jars of honey, I put it down to my own inattention.

Then a week later I was in the basement and looked over the jars of honey all lined up. I was certain more were missing. The second clue was when I came home and found that the back hall light was left on. I don't leave it on.
My suspect. A gentleman who's 75 years old but complains he's 'pushing 80': Dad.

I confronted him. "Are you stealing jars of honey from the basement when I'm not home?"

"I took a few jars, yes."
Then he explained how a lady wanted 2 jars and other person 1 jar and yet another lady wanted 6 small jars.

He'd been busy drumming up customers.

"I'm going to write about you stealing honey from the basement," I said.

"Don't do that," he said.

"Why?" I asked. It's not like our family to keep secrets.

"Because then they'll know where we keep the honey."

"Oh, I see. You're worried if people know where the honey is that they might steal it."

He nodded.

I think he was picturing our jars of honey like they were bars of gold. Maybe they are.

1 comment: